Charred Summer Salad
This recipe is from Good and Cheap.
Good and Cheap is a gorgeous cookbook for people with limited income, particularly on a $4/day food stamps budget. The PDF is free (ahora en Español!) and has been downloaded more than 15,000,000 times. I have more cookbooks, too!
I am so glad that this salad has popcorn on it. Aren’t you? Gina, who sponsored this recipe in Good and Cheap through last summer’s Kickstarter, suggested that I add something crunchy to this salad of grilled zucs and corn. I was like “hello!! Have I forgotten my own rules? Salad must always have something crunchy!” and so I thank you Gina. A little smoky from the grilled vegetables, and chili powder and crunch from the popcorn, this salad is a delicious revelation. Your tummy and your taste buds will be happy.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 cobs corn
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 oz cotija or feta crumbled
- 1 cup popcorn
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Chop off both ends of the zucchini, then slice each into four long sticks. Shuck the corn. Lay the zucchini and corn on a baking tray, then rub them with oil, making sure they're well coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil (or barbecue) for 2 to 5 minutes, depending on how powerful your broiler is. Turn the corn over to make sure it cooks evenly. The zucchini should start to blacken in some spots. This is good! Broil for another 2 to 5 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly charred.
- Mix the dressing in a large bowl. Taste it and adjust to your preferences.
- Chop the zucchini into bite-sized pieces and slice the corn kernels from the cob. Transfer the vegetables into the bowl with the dressing. Add the crumbled cotija or feta and mix. Sprinkle popcorn over top, then dust with a little extra chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Tell me what you think!