This recipe is from Good and Cheap.
Good and Cheap is a gorgeous cookbook for people with limited income, particularly on a $4/day food stamps budget. The PDF is free (ahora en Español!) and has been downloaded more than 1,000,000 times. I have more cookbooks, too!
This recipe from Good and Cheap was inspired by my friend Chris. He told me he loves a good ragu so I worked to develop a version that is as hearty as a meaty tomato sauce without the expense and heaviness of a traditional ragu. It also comes together much more quickly than the longer cooking traditional sauce. A batch of this is probably enough for four people, served with grated Romano or Parmesan over pasta, polenta, or grits.
This sauce freezes very well so consider doubling or tripling the recipe, freezing what you don’t eat and enjoying it later.
- 1 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp jalapeno finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 lb mexican chorizo casing removed
- 1 1/2 cups canned or fresh tomatoes pureed
- 1 1/2 cups butter beans, navy beans or cannelini beans
- Salt and pepper to taste