Salty Broccoli Toast
This recipe is from Good and Cheap.
Good and Cheap is a gorgeous cookbook for people with limited income, particularly on a $4/day food stamps budget. The PDF is free (ahora en Español!) and has been downloaded more than 15,000,000 times. I have more cookbooks, too!
Whenever Dan is away this is what I eat. Not because he doesn’t like it, he does! But it’s just the perfect meal for one. It also hits all the flavors that I like most—salty, garlicky, spicy, a little bitter and then crunchy and fatty from the toast. I’m drooling now. Broccoli toasts, a glass of wine and my favorite new silly show, Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries on netflix? I’m in for my favorite kind of evening.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 anchovy finely chopped
- 1 crown and stem of broccoli chopped
- parmesan or romano grated (to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a small pan on medium heat. Place the two slices of bread in the pan and let them sizzle for about 2 minutes, then lift them with a spatula to check whether they're golden brown underneath. When they are, flip 'em over. Add another 1/2 Tbsp of the butter to the pan to make sure the second side of the toast becomes just as golden as the first. Sprinkle the top of the bread with salt and pepper. Once the second side is golden, set the bread on a plate to await its topping. Repeat if feeding 2.
- To make the broccoli: Warm up the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook for 2 minutes, until they smell great but are not yet brown. Add the anchovy and cook for another minute. Add the broccoli and about xbc cup of water. Cover the pan, steam for 3 minutes, then toss and cook for 2 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and the water is gone. Spoon onto toast; top with cheese, salt, and pepper!
Tell me what you think!