This recipe is from Good and Cheap.
Good and Cheap is a gorgeous cookbook for people with limited income, particularly on a $4/day food stamps budget. The PDF is free (ahora en Español!) and has been downloaded more than 15,000,000 times. I have more cookbooks, too!
In the summertime even avowed salad haters are willing to join the salad munching set. Ugh, seriously, it’s too hot to cook with heat! My apartment is already sauna-like. My fanning arm is growing weak. So this salad is for those who might feel hesitant about salad being a “real” meal. Taco salad is basically a deconstructed bunch of tacos in a bowl with some extra lettuce for kicks. You could call it “lazy tacos” or “summer taco bowl” or “crunch lunch” if it makes you feel better.
- 1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1 lime juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups lettuce chopped
- 1 cup beans or pulled pork or ground beef
- 2 small tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup corn canned or fresh
- 2 - 3 scallions finely chopped
- 1 cup tortilla chips roughly crushed
- cheddar or queso fresco for sprinkling
- cucumber chopped
- jalapeno sliced or pickled
- bell peppers chopped
- carrots grated
- salsa make your own!
- Mix up the dressing and taste it. Adjust the salt, pepper, and lime to your liking.
- Mix the other ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over just before serving and toss to coat the salad evenly.
- Eat immediately, maybe with a few extra tortilla chips on the side. If you'd like some salsa with your salad, make your own!
I loved it n so did my family.
Also it was cheap n easy to prepare.
Sounds gOld I will try it
I tried this, it was pretty good, tweaked it a little bit, no scallions so I added some browned bits of onion, no carrots but local pantry had a lot of olives, they were tasty, also we all ain’t got no teeth, so I let the dressing sit on the tortillas for awhile. I have made it repeatedly. Also I sometimes mix in a pkg of taco season mix or serve it with biscuits instead of tortillas. Very Easy!