This recipe is from Good and Cheap.
Good and Cheap is a gorgeous cookbook for people with limited income, particularly on a $4/day food stamps budget. The PDF is free and has been downloaded more than 1,000,000 times. I have more cookbooks, too!
In the summertime even avowed salad haters are willing to join the salad munching set. Ugh, seriously, it’s too hot to cook with heat! My apartment is already sauna-like. My fanning arm is growing weak. So this salad is for those who might feel hesitant about salad being a “real” meal. Taco salad is basically a deconstructed bunch of tacos in a bowl with some extra lettuce for kicks. You could call it “lazy tacos” or “summer taco bowl” or “crunch lunch” if it makes you feel better.
- 1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1 lime juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups lettuce chopped
- 1 cup beans or pulled pork or ground beef
- 2 small tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup corn canned or fresh
- 2 - 3 scallions finely chopped
- 1 cup tortilla chips roughly crushed
- cheddar or queso fresco for sprinkling
- cucumber chopped
- jalapeno sliced or pickled
- bell peppers chopped
- carrots grated
- salsa make your own!